In this workshop we looked at how to produce a multimedia, or rather a cross-media story, that would work in relation to our goals. What media could be used and how we could get users motivated into wanting more story and indeed telling the story themselves was an important part of this task. Also to get a story character creation was necessary we were to come up with a least one character and a back story for them within groups of six, by the end of the work shop.
First off we choose one group on campus to look at how gain them as an audience, or to be more specific fans. We did this by discussing what kinds of media there is, and what is available to students while they are on campus, then what students actually used by students while they are on campus. (Sorry that this photo is so blurry I couldn’t get a good shot.)
From here we separted the media types, and thought of what media we would use in making our character come to life.
(Also sorry about the upside down picture, I obviously had a bad camera day.)
Our groups characters were, Amanda (Mad Mandy) the stalker and Gustavo the environmentally conscious, Brazilian exchange student. The story goes, Mandy spots Gustavo putting up a poster for an event, and she rather likes him. She then gets his name from the poster searches for him on Facebook wherein she adds him as a friend.
Through Gustavo’s Facebook page, Mandy gets his contact details, and follows him to the event that is on the poster. At the event (which is a fundraiser) Mandy texts Gustavo, who just disregards her, as he doesn’t really know who she is. When Gustavo get’s back home from the party and into his room he hops on Facebook to find a picture tagged with him, of Mandy sitting on his bed with the quote “Where were you? I waited.” in the background we see that Gustavo has Greenpeace and WWF posters all over his wall.
Sadly I didn’t get photos of the character/pilot outlines, but as I said I had camera day.
Sadly I missed this tutorial, so what I have to say on it might not be as helpful as the students who were able to make it to the class. I was however able to get info from the students I was working with on the interview stuff. They were helpful enough to send me a copy of the university sustainable master plan after their interview with Amber, who is UC’s head of sustainable development. She said that this plan was to be executed over the next two years in order to improve campus life for all who use the space.
If you are curios about what the master plan constists of then please click on the link.
For more information about this weeks activites please visit…
In this weeks tutorial we reviewed what we had done in the workshop, and started to look at how we could apply that information to our own works. We also looked at what we wanted to target on campus (eg; electricity usage) and who we should talk to regarding this. Then we went over how to do interviews with the people we needed to talk to around campus. Below is a copy of how to conduct a proper university lecture.
Deakin Uni questionnaire-design
I ended up looking at doing a group interview with two other students in my class. Sadly I missed them the following week since the contact details had given then weren’t working.
As you can see there is a theme arising in my blog, that is there will be links only in the tutorial weeks, while the workshop weeks will have both photos and links. This is just because there is more content to capture during the workshops than there is during tutorials.
So for this week we were looking at how we think about trans media spaces and how many of these spaces we can utilise in creating a sustainable environment at UC. EWC-PAP-SignpostGarden2012-12-07.3
We also looked at the different groups on campus and how we would get them involved.
In specfic the task was to promote and create a cross-media platform for a community garden on campus. We split into groups of about eight people and made sure we had a range of disciplines in each group. Then in our groups we came up with some media platforms to be used, an a system for using them. We then created a step by step plan on how to set up our media on the garden.
From here we had to present our ideas to the rest of the students (with prizes for the most liked idea)…
Sadly we didn’t win any prizes this time, though I think my group’s idea was the most sustainable. But some other group’s ideas were more fun, which I guess it the point of cross media.